Thursday, January 27, 2011

Making a difference

In sociology this week we talked about the community service hours and I definatly kearned a lot. I learned that there are so many opportunities for me to help other individuals make their lives better. I'm super excited to have the chance to work with children and adults who have special needs. I'm planning on helping out is because I want to major in Special Recreation and help individuals with special needs. I have volunteered with things like this before and I loved it. It really makes you value so much more when you meet these people. They are possivtive about everything and anything. If you are having the worst day ever, they know exactly how to put a smile on your face. I 100% enjoy working with kids and adults who are special needed. By doing this assignment, I want to teach people that these individuals are just like you and I but they work differently and look different. I can't wait to finally get started with this!!

5 comments:

  1. I too can't wait to start community service. I've gone to Brentwood the seniors center many times and I always have a great time. The seniors are so kind and the best part is all they want is someone to talk to that will listen to their stories. Doing such a simple thing of listening really makes their day and there's no greater feeling than knowing that you've made someones day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im excited about the community service also. I totally agree with you. I feel like we take advantage of soo much, for all the things we have. I believe community service grounds our values and morals. It opens our minds and most importantly, our world view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really excited for this project too! Helping people make me feel a lot better about myself. I think it's really awesome how you want to major in special recreation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also excited at all the diffferent opportunites there are for me to serve our community. I used to volunteer at a nursing home but I think now I can make it a much more meaningful experience than before since we learned about how much influence we can make through discussions on sociological mindfulness and imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent, Kels! If you are looking for somewhere, try Clearbrook or Special Olympics or Little City.

    ReplyDelete