Thursday, April 21, 2011

Life Changing

On Sunday I worked at Special Olymics and had the most amazing experience ever!  The morning of S.O, I said to myself that this would be a good time, I could get to bond with some of the athletes, and that it would be just like working at NWSRA; and it was.  I worked with some of the most amazing athletes and they were all so positive.  If the they weren't winning, they would keep a smile on their faces and try their best to win.  In the real world, people tend to stare; at least that's what I have noticed working at NWSRA. The camp that I work at is for special needs kids.  When we would go bowling, swimming, or even go see a movie, there would always be people staring and whispering things.  What people don't know, is that kids who have a mental disability have feelings too and are probably just as smart as you are, or maybe even smarter.  See that's what people tend to forget.  They are just the same as you and me; except they look different and process things different too.  But I love working with them because if I am having the worst day ever, they will make me smile and laugh because they just love life and love making new friends and having fun!

1 comment:

  1. I went on the same trip and during the time i noticed too that many of the athletes were happy winnin or losing because everyone was treated like a winner for trying. People in the world are to affraid of losing that they dont try, but these athlets try hard and have fun.

    ReplyDelete